Click on a page below to learn more about our school and the process:
Class Starting Dates for 2019
- January 7, 2019
- February 25, 2019
- April 15, 2019
- June 3, 2019
- July 22, 2019
- September 9, 2019
- October 28, 2019
- We are EQ School of Hair Design. (“EQ” stands for Educational Quest) We are on a quest to provide the best educational experience for the cosmetology student.
- We seek to share these understandings and appreciations with others through structured educational programs.
- We prepare students for successful careers in cosmetology or related fields.
- We share a vision of being the best in cosmetology education.
- We care about and respect those who come to study and learn with us and will do everything within reason to ensure their satisfaction, development and ultimate professional success.
- We will safeguard the educational purposes of the clinic as a classroom with student development as the driving force.
- We see beauty and elegance in our students and faculty; we have fun serving together, striving to be a caring, productive, growing, successful team of professionals.
- We commit ourselves to upholding, and living-up-to, the highest professional and ethical standards.
- We will be proud of our professional accomplishments, but we will never be satisfied. We will constantly be searching for ways to improve everything we do.
- We will succeed as a team, sharing our success, offering each other opportunities for growth, recognition and rewards.
Cosmetology Course Description
A 2100 hour course of study of the principles and practices of cosmetology that enables students to acquire a basic understanding of hair sculpture, hair design, permanent waving, hair coloring, manicuring, artificial nails, skin care and makeup. The course also emphasizes client relations, job seeking skills and preparation for professional success.
Upon completing 2100 hours of training, the student will:
- Be adequately prepared to pass the State Board exam for licensing in cosmetology.
- Have sufficient skills and speed for entry level employment in a hair salon.
- Be capable of passing the final written and practical examinations of the school with a minimum 80 percent score.
During “Basics”, (the first eight weeks) school hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After Basics, the hours are 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Wednesday 12:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
Full time students attending 35 hours per week finish the 2100 hour course in approximately 60 weeks (14 months).
School Closings / Holidays
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Break (Christmas Day to New Years Day)
The first eight weeks of training (“Basics”) are spent learning the fundamentals of all facets of cosmetology to prepare students to perform services on clients. Our professional staff provide step-by-step instruction on the skills needed. Classes include lecture, demonstration and practical application, enhanced by the use of textbooks, visual aids, printed illustrations, and evaluations.
Units of Study During Basics
- Hair Sculpture
- Hair Color
- Hair Design
- Client Service
- Permanent Waving
After the successful completion of basic classes, students are assigned to a schedule whereby they begin to perform services on clients on the clinic floor and continue attending Advanced Phase Classes. This combination of classroom and clinic provides the exposure necessary to master speed and accuracy of technical skills.
For successful completion of the Cosmetology Program, a Student must
- Complete and pass Senior practical and written exams.
- Complete and pass Advancement levels I and II.
- Fulfill minimum grade requirements for written and technical work.
- Meet all financial responsibilities to the school.
- Complete 2100 hours of training and have diploma presented.
- Complete a student portfolio.
Graduation ceremonies are held approximately three times per year. Those students who have met the above requirements or have accumulated more than 1500 hours may participate.
To obtain a cosmetology license in Iowa, a student must
- Have 2100 hours in an approved school with diploma awarded upon graduation.
- Be eighteen years of age or older at the time of the State Board Exam. (Birth certificate may be required).
- Pay application, examination, and/or license fees.
- Have a high school diploma or proof of passing G.E.D.
- Complete and pass the State Board Exam.
Progress Reviews/Academic Counseling
EQ School of Hair Design takes great pride in the close working relationship between staff and students. As part of this, students are evaluated on their progress as they complete various phases of their training.
All work is supervised, strong points emphasized, and areas of weakness worked on to bring them to an acceptable level. If problems arise regarding attendance, grades, technical and personal performance, students are counseled by professional staff to determine the reason and measures to be taken to correct the situation on an individual basis.